20 YEARS ANNIVERSARY
SPECIAL PROJECT EDITION
Former volunteers will be Project Field Leaders
In this project, you will be volunteering your time and energy to protect endangered sea turtles in Thailand. You don’t need any special skills to be a volunteer, just enthusiasm and a willingness to lend a hand.
Main activities are monitoring nesting beaches in the morning and observing a sea turtle feeding area. Besides these main acitivites, we collect weather data, do tortoise and freshwater turtle survey, working together with the community and raise awareness among locals and visitors.
The proposal for the 20th ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL PROJECT EDITION suggests that former volunteers will conduct the 2016-17 fieldwork season, as leaders. They will take turns to work on the field for 2 or 3 weeks each, guaranteeing beach monitoring and nest protection, as well as awareness of tourists and organising ‘s educational activities.
Name of the project: Sea Turtle Conservation Project in Thailand
Dates: From 5 December 2016 to 25 March 2017
Location: Lions Village, Phra Thong Island, Phang-Nga Province
- Sea turtle monitoring on the beach
- Sea turtle behavior observation
- Weather monitoring and data collection
- Awareness raising
- Environmental education*
- Sea grass research activities *
- Reef and beach cleaning*
*These activities depend on the time period and availability of the staff
Requirements: 18 years of age, physically fit, able to work indipendently
- 795€ for 2 weeks; any additional week is 375€.
Discount available for a long stay (more than 4 weeks).
Special rate are available for Thai Volunteers and students.
What’s included in the price:
- Boat ride from/to the island
- Pre-arranged volunteer placement
- Accommodations in the village homestay
- Three meals a day (vegetarian option available)
- Drinking water
- Daily transportation in the project
- Pre departure and local support
- Orientation and training to the field work
- Volunteer coordination
- Volunteer information package
- One year Naucrates membership
Not included in the price:
- Travel to reach the island (flight, boat, car, etc).
- Personal Insurance (compulsory)
- Additional activities and excursions
Accommodation and meals:
The team will be based at the Lion village (ex Bak Joke village), in the north of the island and at Nok’s bungalows.
You will stay in a room with a Thai family (home-stay) and/or in bungalow near the beach. You may have to share a room with another volunteer depending on availability.
Each house basic toilet and bathroom (western or Asian)
Electricity will be available only in the evening between 18.00 and 22.00.
Three Thai meals a day are provided and cooked by a local lady.